On the eve of the last bendy bus journey in London tomorrow, Labour’s London Assembly transport spokesperson, Val Shawcross AM said; “A considerable amount of TfL’s time, effort and money has been spent replacing these buses which covered just 12 out of 700 bus routes in London. These resources which would have been put to far better use improving services for the majority of bus users and cutting fares.
“In every corner of the capital, from Bexley to Camden to Hounslow we have been hearing Londoners’ real concerns about bus services. But rather than spending money improving services or reducing fares this out of touch Tory Mayor has opted to build the world’s most expensive bus – which will be used on just used on just one bus route – whilst hiking fares by 50% in four years.
“In some cases bendy buses have even been replaced by smaller single decker buses. It’s indicative of the current administration that they are more interested in appearance than in substance.”
* Boris Johnson’s new bus will cost £1.6 million per bus and be used on just one bus route in London.
* Ken Livingstone outlined his more extensive Fare Deal plan today, confirming that if elected next May he would introduce an emergency fares package in the autumn of 2012:
1. Cutting fares by 7%, wiping out the steep fare increases planned by Boris Johnson and taking fares back to at least 2011 levels. Boris Johnson’s January rise will see fares up by 5.6% in 2012. Ken’s cut will save the average Londoner £1000 over four years.
2. Additionally cutting bus fares from £1.35 to £1.20, an 11% cut.
3. Ken’s Fare Deal will also see fares frozen in 2013 and the end of Boris Johnson’s plan for an above-inflation rise after that.Other news from London Assembly Labour