There are many ways how to clean bath mats, and it all depends on the material they are made of.
If you are not careful and you clean them wrong, it may lead to stains, growth of mold, and a shorter lifespan for your bathroom mats. This begs us the question: How can you properly clean bath and shower mats?
Your bath mats are the most often-neglected items in your bathroom. They are working hard for you, removing excess water from your feet, and preventing slips and falls.
However, if you don’t know how to clean your bathroom mats, it may harbor deadly microorganisms that are harmful to your health.
Lucky for you, you don’t have to search hard to find the answers to this question. We have made it easy for you. Read the article to find out what is the correct method for cleaning bathroom mats for any material here.
We hope that after reading this simple guide, you have a better understanding of how to clean bath mats. Read the rest of the article for more information
How Often Should Shower and Bath Mats be Cleaned?
Your bath and shower mats are the most suitable environment to harbor bacteria, fungi, and even mildew because they have the moisture and warmth that these microorganisms need.
The frequency of cleaning your bath and shower mats depends on how often it is used. For a household with kids, you should do it more often because they can get wet and dirty faster than usual.
If only two people are using the bathroom, you can clean it at a two to three weeks intervals.
Bath Mat Cleaning Basics: Before You Start
Before you start your bath mat cleaning, let us take care of the basics first – checking the mat’s care label tags.
Check the label for information about the cleaning products that you can and cannot use. It will also give you information on how to clean the bath mat, including the setting for the washer and the dryer.
After checking the washing instructions, you have to clean the bathroom mat outside. Shake it to remove the dirt, dander, dust, and hair that it has accumulated.
If it has rubber or plastic backing, wipe the dust and dirt using a microfiber cloth.
Cleaning Rubber Bath Mats
Rubber mats tend to accumulate oily build-up from the hair products and soaps that make it slippery.
Aside from this slick film, the bathroom has the perfect environment for the growth of molds and mildew, which can lead to bad odors. You can prevent this from happening if you know how to clean rubber bath mats.
There are two simple methods to do this – by hand and by using the washer.
Cleaning Rubber Bath Mats by Hand
Step 1. The simple and most effective way how to remove stains from a rubber bath mat is by soaking it in a solution with diluted bleach.
Make sure that you have enough room to immerse your shower mat.
Step 2. A bleach solution can be hazardous to your health as the bleach can irritate your skin and eyes. Use protective gear like gloves for your hands and a pair of goggles for your eyes.
Also, work in a well-ventilated area to avoid the noxious fumes, which may cause dizziness.
Step 3. Allow the mat to soak for 3-4 hours. Remove the stubborn dirt by giving a thorough scrubbing.
Step 4. After cleaning, remove the mat from the tub and let it dry on the towel rack or outdoors. Do not put the rug in your dryer; the heat can warp the rubber.
Cleaning Rubber Shower Mats Using Your Washing Machine
Step 1. Wash the rubber shower mats in your washing machine the same as you would do your regular laundry. Remember not to include it with items that do not do well with bleach.
Step 2. Add the detergent and ½ cup of bleach to remove the stains and odors.
Step 3. Put the washing machine in a gentle setting. You can use warm or cold water.
Step 4. Remove the mat from the machine and hang it at the back of a chair or clothesline to dry.
How to Clean Shower Mats Made from Teak
Teak has a natural resistance to mildew and mildew, soap residue, and other materials that can form build-up on your bathroom mat.
Routine cleaning should be done every time you are cleaning your bathroom, or there is noticeable build-up on the slip-resistant surface of the bathroom mat.
You can also do a quick cleaning. Apply a liberal amount of water to the surface and remove the stubborn dirt using a soft brush.
You can opt to use a mild soap solution as well. Make sure to brush the underside. When done brushing, wash it with clean water and allow it to dry.
To get even better results just use teak cleaner and apply teak wood oil and sealer on the teak bath mat.
How to Clean Bamboo Shower Mats
Bamboo bath mats are resistant to fungi, and it is designed to be comfortable and slip-resistant.
What’s good about this mat is the drainage gaps that keep it dry even with multiple uses. It also has a rubber backing that grips the floor and provides stability to the shower mat.
You don’t need a washing machine to clean your bamboo shower mats. It is more economical, plus the earth tones of bamboo can complement any bathroom style.
Caring for bamboo bath mats is easy too. You only need to wash it by hand in warm and soapy water until the stain and dirt are gone.
Rinse it thoroughly and use a towel to dry the mat. To prolong its lifespan and enhance its beauty, apply a liberal amount of food-grade mineral oil to its surface.
How to Clean Plastic Bath Mat
Bathroom mats made with plastic are another breeding ground for harmful pathogens and bacteria if you will not wash them frequently.
Although it prevents falls and slips in the bathroom, it can pose a serious health risk if you will neglect cleaning them.
How to clean a plastic bath mat is very simple and straightforward. Thoroughly cleaning it will help avoid bacterial colonies from thriving on the mat.
Clean your plastic bath mats every two or three weeks using the bleaching solution. You also need to replace the rug once a year.
For molds, mildew, and fungus, you need to use a higher concentration of bleach. You can remove the dirt and grime by washing the mat in the washer at the highest setting together with old rugs and towels to achieve the rubbing effect that will loosen the dirt.
A dishwasher can also be an alternative, but you need to wash it first with a bleach solution.
How to Clean Bath Mats with Suction Cups
The usual shower mats in most homes have plastic or rubber backing. And most have suction cups so that they can adhere to the floor to prevent falls and slips when using the bathroom.
These suction cups are equipped with drain holes for removing excess water to prevent it from harboring microbes and other pathogens.
You must know how to clean bath mats with suction cups to prevent them from harboring bacteria, molds, mildew, and others.
You can clean these mats using these easy steps.
Step 1. Check the underside for any peeling or cracking. If there are any, you need to replace them as small pieces that come of it will damage your washing machine.
Step 2. Check the suction cups if there is any stubborn dirt.
Step 3. Place the bathroom mat with suction cups in your washer. Wash it in a cold setting using a gentle laundry detergent.
Step 4. You can dry it in two ways – hang them out to dry or dry the dryer in the lowest setting.
How to Clean Bath Rugs
By knowing how to clean bath mats properly, you will not only prevent harboring pathogens but will prolong their lifespan too. Read on the steps on how to clean bath rugs.
- Check the care instructions label. Although many bathroom rugs are machine washable, it is also a good idea to look at the washing instructions.
- Shake the rug outdoors to remove dirt, debris, and hairs. The frequency should be once a week and in between cleanings.
- When washing rugs in the washing machine, it is better to put two in one cycle to save energy.
- Make sure to use the right cleaning products. It is advisable to use vinegar instead of bleach or your laundry detergent.
- Use the right washer temperature. Hot water can loosen the glue at the back of the rugs causing the carpet piles to fall apart when the adhesive disintegrates.
- Rugs with rubber backing and adhesives should be air-dried. The sun can naturally sanitize them, but if this is not possible, you can run them in your dryer until it is thoroughly dry.
- Wet bath rugs are prone to the growth of mold and mildew. It is better to pick them up after bathing and hang them on the bathtub or towel rack.
How to Clean Bath Rugs with Rubber Backing
Some bathroom mats have rubber backing instead of suction cups. It has the same purpose, that is, to prevent slips and falls.
Because these rugs have a noble purpose on your bathroom floor, you should know how to clean bathroom rugs with rubber backing. The first step in cleaning your mat is to inspect the care instructions in the label.
Follow these simple steps and have your bathroom rug cleaned in no time.
- Thoroughly check its rubber backing for any peel or crack. If you find any, it is best to replace the mat with a new one.
- Shake the rugs outdoors to remove the dirt, hair, and debris.
- Put the rugs in the washing machine on gentle settings and cold water using mild detergent.
- Tumble it dry on low settings or hang the rugs outside to dry. You can also wipe it with an unsoiled cloth made from microfiber.
How to Clean Memory Foam Bath Mat
Memory foam bath mats are unique because they have beautiful, cushiony underfoot that can relieve tiredness and fatigue from your feet. It is made with microfiber that absorbs water and a non-slip underside to prevent slips.
To remove the loose debris and dirt, use a vacuum cleaner or a soft broom.
- Do spot cleaning on the heavy stain using laundry detergent.
- Place it inside the washing machine and wash in a delicate cycle with regular detergent. Make sure that you are using cold water to avoid damage to the memory foam.
- Do not use bleach or any cleaning chemical or solvent.
- After the washing cycle, remove the rug and read the instruction on the label for drying recommendations.
- You can dry the rug in a low setting, but not completely.
- Remove the rug from the dryer and lay the carpet on a flat surface to preserve its shape.
- Give it a gentle stretch once dry to reshape the rug.
How to Clean Baby Bath Mat
You need to clean the baby math regularly to prevent molds, mildew, and harmful pathogens from growing on its surface. Because babies like to move around the bathtub, you need to buy one that has rubber suction so that it will stay in place.
Some baby bath mats can be cleaned with a bleaching solution while the rubber ones can be loaded in the dishwasher.
Here is how you can clean a baby bath mat
- Fill the bathroom sink with water and add one cup of vinegar. Mix them. Avoid using bleach on baby bath mats as it contains harsh chemicals.
- Soak it in the basin for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, clean the rug using a cleaning brush.
- Rinse it thoroughly.
- Allow the rug to air dry.
How to Clean Bath Mat Mold
When you have a busy bathroom, it is only natural to have damp bath mats all the time. Wet rugs are harmful because they can harbor molds and deadly pathogens. You need to clean and dry them regularly to avert the growth of mildew or fungus.
No amount of prevention can stop them from growing because of the moisture and warm temperature inside the bathroom. So, what are you going to do if you have a moldy bath mat?
Here are two simple instructions on cleaning a bath mat with mold.
- To remove the mold colony, you can use Borax, vinegar, and other powerful disinfectants. You can add vinegar to a basin or bucket of water and soak your shower mat in the solution. Thoroughly scrub the part with molds until you removed them. Rinse and hang it outside to dry. The sun will act as a disinfectant to kill the remaining microorganisms.
- You can also put the moldy bathroom mat in the washing machine. Add vinegar and baking soda to eliminate its lousy odor and molds.
How to Stop Bath Mat from Getting Moldy
With these simple measures on how to prevent bath mats from getting moldy, you can keep them from harboring molds, bacteria, mildew, and even fungi.
The bathroom is perfect for them to grow because of its warmth and moisture.
Here are some precautionary steps to avoid your rugs from getting moldy.
- Wash your bath mats to remove stains, mildew, molds, and unpleasant odors.
- Keep the mats dry after every use.
- You can use the towel rack or the side of the tub to dry them. Hanging them outside with a little sun will do them good.
- Wash them with white vinegar combined with laundry soap to remove molds and unwanted smells.
- After a thorough cleaning and scrubbing, air dries them to stop the molds from increasing on the mat.
- Give your bath mats a good vinegar and water soak every two months to remove the scum and prevent molds from growing.
- To prevent high humidity inside the bathroom, make sure to run the exhaust fan when showering or bathing. Run it for another hour after you are done.
- Open the bathroom window if you have any.
Can You Wash Microfiber Bathmats?
Chenille or microfiber bathmats are very comfortable to step in and quick to dry. If you are asking if you can wash microfiber bath mats, the answer is YES.
Cleaning your microfiber bath mats is straightforward and easy.
Here is how to wash bath mats made from microfiber.
- Place it in your washer and put a decent amount of gentle detergent.
- Next, wash it in the lowest mode using cold water.
- Tumble dry the mat on the lowest heat setting to prevent damage.
- You can also hang your shower mat outside to dry.
There you have it. We have covered almost everything you need to know on how to clean bath mats.
Remember, you should keep the shower mats clean and dry all the time to prevent molds and harmful microorganisms from growing on them.
Regularly cleaning your bath mats will prevent this from happening.
If you have any more queries on how to clean bathroom rugs, you can comment down below. We try to answer all your questions right away.